If you read our blogs regularly and I hope you do, because we really do have some awesome content in them...then you have probably seen the super useful blog on how to create a custom double opt in link in Infusionsoft by Keap.
If you haven’t seen that blog, then you can read it here. In that blog, Kenda explains the advantages of creating a custom double opt in link and she shows you how to do it step by step. While it’s great being able to do this, you might want even more control - and you might want to make things look prettier.
In this blog, I’m going to build on the concept of a custom double opt-in, by showing you how you can then take that custom link, and place it behind an image or a button.
This makes your emails more pleasing to the eye and gives you full control of the link if your custom link is behind a button - without having to remember the text you originally used to create your custom link.
If you already know all the benefits, and just want to learn the technical know how, then this is blog is for you.
1. Hover over the infusionsoft logo and go to Marketing Settings
2. On the left hand nav panel, click on Automation Links
3. Then Under Confirmation Links you will see the default double-opt in email, next to the Confirmation Links text there is the option to 'Create Confirmation link’'
4. A new window will pop up, name your link as appropriate, ignore the html email area and scroll down until you see 'Link Text'. This is what will show up to the contact in the email. Normally it will say click here or something along those lines. It is important to remember what you enter here as you will not actually see the link text in the email.
5. Click Save (NOT save and close)
6. Now we want to go to the confirmation page appearance tab at the top of the window, In the Merge Field for Opt-In Header, we want to enter your company name. From the drop down for header colour choose black text white background.
7. Now we come to page content, we want to go to the source tab and paste in the code: and enter the URL of the page you want to redirect to in the code as below in bold.
Save again. (NOT save and close)
8. Next we pop over to actions, from the add a new action drop down we want to choose apply/remove a tag, from there you can either choose a double-opted in tag if you have one, or create one with the create a new tag option
9. Once you have chosen your tag click save and then save, now you can click save and close.
11. Now we need to go into the campaign and into the email that we want to send people to get them to double opt-in. Write your copy as normal, but instead of writing 'click here' or whatever link text you have decided on, we are going to put ~OptIn_number~ Note: the symbol on either end is a ‘Tilde’, not a dash. Please also make sure that the letters O and I in ‘OptIn’ are both a capital letter.
12. it will look like this ~OptIn_14~ (not 14 in your case, the number from step 10)
13. Send a test to yourself, and you shouldn't see the opt in code, just the link text. Magic!
As if that wasn’t enough double opt in awesomeness, here’s the really clever part -
In the test email you have just sent to yourself, hover over the link, right click and copy link address. This will give you something that looks like this:
This is a custom link so please don’t try to swipe it as it wouldn’t work for you.
Your link will look similar to this one, but will have your app name here:
The number of your custom double opt in here (From step 10 above)
And your own set of custom numbers here:
Now all you have to do, is pop that whole link behind your button or image as a URL, just as you would with any other URL you were putting behind an image or a button.
Of course you’ll want to test again by sending a test email to yourself, but as long as you’ve followed the instructions then you’ve probably nailed it.
Alternatively, why not put your feet up, grab a cuppa and get a Ninja to do it for you for just £129? We’d be more than happy.
Here in Ninja Land we live and breathe all things marketing, so if you're not quite sure what you need help with or just want to hash it out with a ninja, then grab one of our free Marketing Therapy Sessions here
What do you have to lose?
Mel is Automation Ninja’s GSD (Get Sh*t Done) Ninja. Our longest serving Ninja other than the company directors, Mel lives up to her title. Mel builds campaigns for Ninjas and for our clients and is an Infusionsoft expert in the truest sense of the word. Mel has incredible attention to detail and we can always count on her to spot a wayward typo or a hole in a campaign that needs to be plugged. Her unassuming nature hides a razor-sharp Ninja mind. When she’s not Ninjaring, Mel spends time with her daughter - encouraging her passion for kayaking, walking her dog and is partial to a gin. Sometimes on a nice beach.